I'm about to divulge a closely guarded recipe handed down for generations in my Sister-in-Law's family.  Well, maybe not the closely-guarded part-- she gave it to me so it must not be that secret.  But it has been in her family for generations, that much is true!  It is a tradition in her family whenever the first hint of Fall chills the air to make a big batch of Nuts and Bolts.

This is not ordinary Chex Mix, my friends.  This is what Chex Mix aspires to be.  It's savory and crunchy and highly addictive.  It's a good thing that the recipe makes a ton, because you'll need it!  It will be gone before you know it.

So without further ado, here is my Sister-in-Law's recipe for Nuts and Bolts.

Nuts and Bolts

1 box rice chex
1 box wheat chex
1 box corn chex
1 box cheerios
1 bag pretzels (you can use any kind but I like to use Snyder’s Snaps)
1 can nuts (any kind)

2 sticks butter
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp canola oil

Preheat oven to 250Melt butter over medium heat, then add oil and spices and bring to a boil.  
Mix all the cereals and pretzels together in a big deep pan (I use a roasting pan)(I actually found out from my Sister-in-Law that she only uses half the box of cereal at a time.)  Pour sauce over cereal and stir.

Bake at 250 for 1½ hours, stirring every 15 minutes.  Be amazed at the smell coming out of your oven.  Try to avoid eating it while it's still piping hot.  You'll just end up burning your tongue.

When I made my batch, I substituted Goldfish crackers for the Cheerios, and I used both peanuts and cashews.  It was really good that way, too!  

This is a great snack food to give to the hungry hordes while they're waiting for Thanksgiving dinner.  Or take some with you while you ride around looking at Christmas lights.  Or, for any reason, really.  Just make some!  You won't be sorry!



Tagged:

2 comments:

  1. Bless you, woman. I have been waiting for this. We're bringing Nuts and Bolts to the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not that much of a secret. ;-) My great-grandmother and grandmother used to make this, and now I make it every year at Christmas! We don't put Goldfish or Cheerios in it, though. And we call it Trash here in Mississippi. Yum!

    ReplyDelete