Let's talk about Christmas trees!  It's that time of year when folks are putting up their Christmas trees-- pulling out their ornaments, checking strands of lights, maybe choosing a new ribbon or tree topper.  The thing that's so wonderful about trees is that they're so personal-- my tree and your tree will never look the same, but isn't that the best part?  Everyone has a different idea about what makes a beautiful tree.  And that's the way it should be!  How boring would it be if every Christmas tree looked exactly the same? 

I also know that there are some aspects of tree decorating that baffle some folks.  So I thought it would be fun to do a little series on trimming the tree.  My hope is that these tips are universal-- so that whether you prefer your lights all white or multi-colored, blinking or steady, ribbons or garland, angel or star-- you can still find something useful to help you in your tree trimming. 

First of all, let's talk about your tree decorations.  I like to think of Christmas trees as having layers of decorations.  The first layer would be the lights, followed by (in the case of my tree) ribbons that wrap around the tree, followed by a beaded garland, and finished with ornaments. The more layers you add to a tree, the more rich and full it will look.  Here's an example from Pinterest:



This tree has layers of wide ribbon (which is dramatic and takes up a lot of visual space) and large poinsettias.  The gold tones and rich reds really give this tree an air of sophistication, almost decadence.  I really love this tree.  It makes me want to go buy some wide ribbon. This may not be your style of tree, and that's okay.  But the method can be applied to lots of different styles of trees. 

So before we get started, think about the decorations that you use for your tree, and consider adding a layer.  It could be as simple or as elaborate as you'd like. 

Tomorrow, I'm going to talk about lights for fresh trees and how to make the most of your artificial tree.  I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I can't wait to show you!

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment