I'm always excited to see what ornaments Hallmark comes out with every year.  I love that they have something for everyone-- things that are nostalgic, trendy, traditional, and a little bit crazy.

Have I ever mentioned that we have a lunar module ornament on our tree?  Yep.  It's from Hallmark-- we bought it the year we got married.  My husband is a big fan of the space program and particularly the Apollo missions.  The LEM is a family favorite every year because whenever you turn on the tree, it starts talking.  It's a recording of Alan Shepard, the commander of Apollo 14, talking to mission control.  He says, "Hey, Freddo, we sure picked a clear day to arrive, not much haze in the air at all.  It's really a wild place up here... incredible."  (The joke is that he was talking to Fred Haise- which is why he says there's "not much 'haze' in the air...")

The point is, we do love Hallmark ornaments at my house.  I don't decorate with them exclusively, but I like to collect the ones that have a particular meaning or connection to my family.

Here are a few of the ones that I've got my eye on this year:

Mickey and Toodles in Space
I have Mickey Mouse Clubhouse fans in my house, so I know this one would be a big hit!





Barbie as Blair in Barbie Princess Charm School
I've got a big Barbie fan in my house, too.  Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

A Shocking Surprise (from How the Grinch Stole Christmas)

When my oldest daughter was two, I dressed her up as Cindy Lou Who for Halloween.  I made her a Cindy Lou Who dress and made her wear antennae and everything.  I used a picture of her in her costume for our Christmas card that year, and I used the same quote that's on this ornament: "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more!"

How the Grinch Stole Christmas makes me cry.  In a good way.

Phineas and Ferb
Hands-down one of my favorite shows on TV.  For kids or otherwise.  I have a stuffed Dr. Doofenschmirtz on my desk.  All shows should be like Phineas and Ferb.  The world would be a happier place.

There are so many more ornaments that I love (oh Peanuts gang, I adore you).  I'm looking forward to seeing them all in person!  What are your favorites?

Tagged: ,

1 comment:

  1. We have a LEM, too. And we've memorized the words.

    I think the joke isn't so much about "haze (Haise) in the air....", but rather, there's no air on the moon, so haze isn't even a possibility!

    ReplyDelete