Here in Charlotte, North Carolina, there is an annual event that I look forward to almost as much as I look forward to Christmas itself.  It's The Southern Christmas Show.  For those of you who have never been to a Southern Christmas Show, imagine this:  three warehouses full of vendors with everything from Christmas decorations to gifts to gadgets.  Beautifully decorated Christmas trees.  Food.  A miniature village.  The Gourd Lady.  More food.  Or, as their famous jingle goes, "Cakes and cookies, toys and gifts- Christmas at your fingertips." 

The Southern Christmas Show is over for this year, but I took lots of pictures so I could share the Southern Christmas Show experience with all of you.  In fact, I took so many pictures, that it's really too much for one post-- so I'm splitting it up.  So without further adieu, I give you The Southern Christmas Show, Part One:

I arrived at the show half an hour before it opened.  I actually got to park close enough that I could see the show entrance from my parking spot.  This is a huge deal, which anyone who's been to the show will tell you.  Parking is always full.  When I got to the front door, a line had already formed waiting for the doors to open.



This is the back of the line.  It moved very quickly though, and soon we were ushered into the Southern Christmas Show.  Just look at this:


You can practically hear the angels singing as you enter.  Oh, wait-- those weren't angels (at least not the heavenly kind), it was my old friends Whatever 4!


I've worked with these ladies before and they are charming and talented.  It was such a pleasure to see and hear them on my way into the show.

After you hand in your ticket and go through the turnstile, you are met with a lovely display of Christmas trees.  The Southern Christmas Show holds a holiday decorating competition every year.  They have categories for trees, mantels, doors, and wreaths.  I thought the trees were really outstanding this year.

"Snowmen Angels" by Unique Art

"Happy Holidays" by Anne Maier Designs (First Place Ribbon)

Larry's Dried and Silk Flowers (Always a show favorite for me)

Close up of a butterfly in the tree

"Twinkle, Twinkle, Handmade Stars" by Handmade Stars
(check out their website, beautiful stuff)

"What Would Christmas Be Without Music?" by Dollightful
This tree was very clever.  They hung records in the tree and labeled them with the names of popular Christmas songs and fun facts about those songs.  For example, did you know that "Up On the Housetop" was written in 1864 and was the first song to mention Santa?  Or that "The Twelve Days of Christmas" was written in 1780? 





Most of the pictures that I took were of the trees, but I did get a couple of some of the other items in the competition.  Here's the mantel that won first place.


It was made by Larry's Dried and Silk Flowers.  It had no official title, but I like to think of it as "Mardi Gras Christmas."  Or perhaps "Lady Gaga's Christmas."  It is fancy, is it not?


Here's the wreath from Larry's Dried and Silk Flowers which also won first place.  I love the music theme and the bright colors.

Tomorrow I'll show you some amazing miniatures, more decorations, and lots more.  And after the decorations comes the exhibitors.


Stay tuned!

Tagged: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment