I dearly love the Macy's Parade.  Oh, pardon me-- The Macy's All-American Thanksgiving Day Parade.  (Personally I've always called it simply "The Macy's Day Parade," which makes no sense but there you have it).  I have always looked forward to watching it, and I'll admit that I even get a little teary when Al Roker and company cut the ribbon and shout "Let's Have A Parade!"

I'm pleased to say that I have successfully passed on my love of the parade to my eldest daughter.  A couple weeks ago she exclaimed, "Thanksgiving is coming!  The parade will be on TV!"  I'm so proud.

You know, for years I was under the impression that the floats in the Macy's parade had motors in them that moved them along the parade route.  It was always disappointing to me when I went to my local parade in town and saw tractors pulling the floats.  I persisted under this misconception until a few years ago when a random camera angle showed that there was a large pick-up truck pulling one of the floats, and my illusion was shattered.  I realized that, all along, the floats seemed to be moving on their own accord because they were framing the trucks out of the shot.  Ah, the magic of television.  Don't believe everything you see, children.

Speaking of floats, what would the Macy's parade be without this one?


And do you know who will be riding this iconic Tom Turkey in this year's parade?  Oh yes, it's the Turkey man himself, Alton Brown!  I have been in a giggle fit about that all day.

Want to know who else will be in the parade this year?  Here's a lineup: 
Alton Brown of the Food Network, Juanes, Jessica Simpson, Victoria Justice, Kanye West, Crystal Shawanda, Arlo Guthrie, Michael Grimm, Big Time Rush, Jimmy Fallon & The Roots, Mannheim Steamroller, Gladys Knight, Ann Hampton Callaway, Gloriana, India Arie, the Big Apple Circus, Eric Hutchinson, Power Rangers Samurai, Betty Buckley, Keri Hilson, cast and Muppets of Sesame Street, Miss USA 2010 Rima Fakih, Miranda Cosgrove and Joan and Melissa Rivers.  Source
The floats this year include Dora's Christmas Carol Adventure (celebrating the 10th anniversary of Dora the Explorer), OfficeMax ElfYourself (I can't wait for that one), and the Santaland Express with Jimmy Fallon and the Roots.  You can read about all 27 floats on Macy's official website.  The balloons this year include Buzz Lightyear, Kermit the Frog (yay!), and Snoopy as the Flying Ace.  Of course, none of those will get my daughter quite as excited as Spongebob Squarepants is sure to do.  She does love that Spongebob.  She once tried to convince me that he was her cousin.  True story.

And just in case you live in a cave, the 84th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade will begin tomorrow morning at 9AM Eastern on NBC.

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment