I had a bad dream a couple of weeks ago.  I dreamed that I woke up and it was late November-- and I had totally missed all of Fall.  I really look forward to Fall every year, so the thought of missing it completely made me very sad.

But it's funny, because the more I think about it, the more I realize how that's exactly what happens all the time.  Haven't you ever said, "whatever happened to Fall?"  Or "where did Spring go?"  It happened to me this past Summer.  I had all these grand plans for what I was going to do with the girls and what I was going to accomplish around the house, and then I blinked and Summer was over.

I think that's part of why I started this blog in the first place.  I don't know if you're like me, but every year I look forward to Christmas so much, but once Christmas gets here it arrives with so much other responsibility and stress that I can't enjoy it properly.  This blog is a way to both celebrate Christmas and all the wonderful things associated with Christmas, and also to remind myself to prepare for it so that I can really enjoy it once it's here.

I've gotten a few derisive comments about my obsession with Christmas, and I guess if you want to look at it that way it is a little odd.  Although it's no weirder than any other obsessions that people choose not to make public.  As I told one of my sweet friends, I made a decision in starting this blog to let my "freak flag fly."  I could have just let the idea go and continued to let everyone believe that I was "normal" (whatever that means).  But I also know that there are lots of others who love Christmas as much as I do and enjoy what I post here.  So you know, if this isn't your cup of tea, you're welcome to move along.  That's the beauty of the Internet.

Anyway, my original point of this post is just to say don't let this time of year go by so fast that you forget to enjoy it.  Do you like to drive around and look at the beautiful Fall leaves?  Mark it on the calendar and do it.  Have you always wanted to go apple-picking, but never got around to it?  Make your plans today.  Make a list of some things you'd like to do, pick out a couple, and figure out a way to do them.

Challenge yourself this weekend to do one thing for Fall and one thing for Christmas.  My personal goal will be to make headway on my daughters' Christmas lists and my Christmas budget.  I feel very positive this year about getting my shopping done early so that I don't have that monkey on my back when Christmastime rolls around.  And I would really love to be able to spend a weekend in the mountains with my husband sometime this Fall.  Maybe this weekend I will look into actually doing that.

If you do anything, tell me about it!  And have a great weekend!

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment