There are lots of things that I can cook, but I will readily admit that baking is not my forte.  I'm not the kind of person that you'll find baking a cake just because.  It probably has something to do with the fact that I like salty better than sweet.  But be that as it may, when I saw Taste of Home's Fall Baking Cookbook issue, I had to have it.


This may be in a magazine format, but at 143 pages it rivals a lot of cookbooks that I own (and is less expensive than your average cookbook).  One of the things that drew me to this issue was the photos.  After all, you eat with your eyes first, right?  And there are photos for every recipe in this book.

The issue is divided into sections: Cookies, Brownies & Bars, Cakes & Cupcakes, Cheesecakes, Pies & Tarts, Cobblers & Crisps, Yeast Breads & Rolls, Quick Breads, Muffins & More, and Great Thanksgiving Desserts.  At the front of each section is a page called "Secrets for Successful Baking" that pertains specifically to the goodies in that section.  For instance, did you know that a shiny pie pan can produce a soggy crust?  Or that you must bake quick breads immediately after the ingredients are mixed, lest the middle sag during baking?  For people like me who are not accomplished bakers, tips like that are extremely helpful.  There's even a section at the front of the book called "Baking Basics" which covers everything from how to measure accurately to the best kind of pans to use.

Another thing that drew me to this book was the variety of recipes included.  There are some basics like Home-style Yeast Bread and Mom's Apple Crisp, along with some more adventurous sounding ones like Chocolate Banana Split Cupcakes and Pepperoni Pizza Muffins.  And since it's by Taste of Home, the recipes all come from home cooks, not a test kitchen somewhere, so you know they're tried and true.

If you're looking for some new recipes this Fall or just enjoy drooling over pretty pictures, I'd recommend picking up a copy at your local bookstore.  You can also buy a copy online.

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment